Japan says Fukushima spent-fuel risk contained

Posted on May 27, 2012

0


FUKUSHIMA, Japan (Reuters) – Japanese officials said on Saturday the unprecedented effort to remove spent fuel rods from one of the crippled Fukushima nuclear reactors was on track despite lingering concerns about the structure’s vulnerability to another earthquake.

“I don’t think the situation is unstable,” said Goshi Hosono, Japan’s minister in charge of the response to the nuclear crisis. He was speaking to reporters after his first tour of the twisted and partly destroyed building that houses Fukushima’s No. 4 reactor.

The visit marked an effort by Japanese officials to show they are addressing international concerns about the risk of a second accident at Fukushima, and a group of reporters were allowed to accompany Hosono on his tour of the plant while clean-up operations were suspended for the day.

Hosono said he expected workers to begin removing fuel from the No.4 reactor’s storage pool next year. Work began last month to raise what amounts to a giant tent over the building to keep radioactive dust from scattering during the transport of the fuel rods.

“We want to move as quickly as possible,” Hosono said.

Tokyo Electric Power, the utility that operates the Fukushima Daiichi plant, says its analysis shows the No.4 reactor building would hold up in a strong earthquake even after being badly damaged by a hydrogen explosion last March when three nearby reactors suffered meltdowns.

Reuters

Enhanced by Zemanta
Posted in: Random