Netanyahu OKed delay of Iran attack till after the US election, for bunker-busters

Posted on April 28, 2012

0


The US will supply Israel with bunker-busting bombs and refueling planes in return for delaying a strike against Iran until at least the end of the year, Maariv reported on Thursday. During their meeting earlier this week in Washington, Barack Obama promised Benjamin Netanyahu the latest deep-penetration arms from the US arsenal as well as airborne tankers to refuel strike jets necessary for an Israeli attack on Iran. In return, Israel will agree to not take any action until after the upcoming US presidential elections in November 2012.

Although rumors of the possible supply of new bombs and planes began even while Netanyahu was still in the US, Maariv’s claim, based on Western sources, is that supply of the equipment is conditional on postponing an attack. Obama gave Israel neither a green light for an attack, nor a red light, but rather a “bright yellow light,” sources told Maariv, adding that the yellow light is nearly red. Obama told Netanyahu that an Israeli attack, uncoordinated with the US, will have the most serious implications on regional stability and relations between the two countries. Maariv said that sources close to the recent meetings in Washington reported that it will be “difficult, if not impossible” for Israel to ignore Obama’s warnings.

Israeli Insider

Enhanced by Zemanta
Posted in: Random